Announcing AFAM - June '08

A Fruit A Month, the monthly event that puts spotlight on a fruit comes to Tasty Palettes. Started by Maheswari of Beyond The Usual, this event has been going on for quite sometime now. Which also means, many of the fruits we enjoy on a daily basis have already received their deserved attention. While I was searching for a fruit that was easily available, I had to think outside the box. There are many fruits disguised under various names in our every day lives. And one such fruit is coconut. Yes, coconut is not a nut, but a fruit. So lets celebrate coconut this month as ‘The fruit of the month’ – AFAM: Coconut.

Coconut

Coconut is a drupe, which is described as a fruit with an outer fleshy part, enclosing a hard shell, which in turn enwraps the seed. Peach, avocado, walnut, pecan are some that belong to this category. In a coconut, the outer fibrous part (mesocarp) encloses a hard shell (endocarp). Inside this hard shell is the edible white flesh (endosperm) and coconut water. Technically the outer fibrous part is the fruit. But since it is nowhere near edible, lets consider the other flavoursome parts; the white flesh, thirst-quenching coconut water, rich coconut oil and other coconut derivatives, for this edition of AFAM.

A Fruit A Month - Coconut

Here are the guidelines for your participation:

  1. Prepare a vegetarian/vegan recipe with coconut as the star ingredient and post about in your blog between now and 30th June ’08. Any cuisine, any course is acceptable as long as it features coconut. Any article on coconut is also welcome.
  2. Provide a link back to this announcement.
  3. Send a mail with AFAM – Coconut in the subject line to tastypalettes@gmail.com with the following details.
    • Your name
    • Your blog name
    • Name of the entry
    • URL of your post
    • An optional photo that is 250 pixels wide (height doesn’t matter)
  4. If you don’t have a blog but would like to participate, send an email with your name, recipe and an optional photo. I will include in the roundup.
  5. Older posts are accepted if they are re-posted with a link to this announcement.
  6. Feel free to use the logo in your post.

The roundup will be posted in the first week of July. Maheswari, thank you for allowing me to have fun with one of my favorite fruits for a whole month.

Looking forward to your contributions...

Updated on Jul 8, 2008: Event Roundup here.

48 comments:

Lucy said...

Great choice of fruit Suganya!

Shall get thinking cap on.

Mansi said...

awesome choice Suganya! I just made coconut cookies, so I already ahve an entry:)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photograph!

I'll do my best to submit something... It all depends on how much free time I can pull together!

Susan said...

Coconut....this is no surprise. : D
I am in!

Divya Kudua said...

tender coconut is acceptable?

Anonymous said...

That is such an interesting choice. Hmm... let me think.

Unknown said...

nice choice..will come up with something..

sunita said...

That is a great choice, sug :-)

jayasree said...

Interesting choice- thannx to the blog events, which makes us think out of the box. Else would we hv ever thought of coconut as fruit. Count me in.

Raaga said...

Between Sig and you, do you realize you can make me go the RCI Karnataka route all over again... coconut and tamarind... quintessential konkani food ingredients... and I have so many recipes sitting just for you.

Hugs :-)

Raaga said...

Also, is alcohol vegan, vegetarian or meat?

Suganya said...

I am happy to see your positive response. Hoping to receive your wonderful creations.

Divya, tender coconut is acceptable. Any edible part of coconut is ok.

Raaga, Konkani foods? Bring it on :). Alcohol is beyond vegetarian or vegan category. Feel free to use it.

Anonymous said...

thank you for choosing coconut.

Arundathi said...

yup - super choice - already know what to make - something i've been meaning to try for a long time - and thanks for clarifying that Divya.

Srivalli said...

now coconut is a fruit!..I forgot my botany!..heheh..will send some entries for sure!

Evelin said...

great! It'll be my first time participating in this event, cause I CAN'T SAY NO to some COCONUT!:)

Anonymous said...

What a great choice!

SMN said...

Great choice for the event.. all the best

Sia said...

thank u
thank u
thank u sug :)
-from a person who has more coconut flowing in her veins than blood ;)

Sailaja said...

Very nice choice . Will definately participate in this event

Unknown said...

I'll be traveling to India soon will post recipes of coconut from there. Beautiful picture Sug.

Lisa Turner said...

A very good choice. I will try to come up with something, time permitting. I am certainly looking forward to the roundup.

@the_whisk_affair said...

great choice, suganya, i am excited. pardon me if i sound silly, but are eggs allowed??

Suganya said...

JZ, Eggs are allowed. Looking forward to your participation.

Sum Raj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Red Chillies said...

Great choice and looking forward to participate!

ushaprashanth said...

Hi suganya!!!!!!
I didnt know till now that coconut is a fruit.... yours is very informative too!!!! great work!! I have a recipe in mind too!!!!!

FH said...

Beautiful selection! I have a perfect coconutty one for ya, just need time to make!:))
Cool logo too.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

wow nice choice....iam in!!

bee said...

there's something for you at jugalbandi. congrats.

KonkaniBlogger said...

Nice selection..Will surely send something..

Subba Muthurangan said...

Now that would be my choice also, if knew coconut could be consider as a fruit..:D.90 % of my hometown recipes has coconut.Just yesterday found a unique dessert recipe with coconut.:))..i am so happy you chose my fav. one.I am also gonna have fun with one...

Unknown said...

Sorry i send my last comment accidently through H's id (which was default in this m/c).Please copy and paste that in this comment , if u can...:( and congrats on the CLICK win..

Dee said...

Nice Choice Suganya

Mansi said...

Just sent you my entry Sugs!:)

vandana rajesh said...

Great idea...count me in

Chef Jeena said...

I love coconuts! I have sent in my recipe. :-)

Unknown said...

is coconut cream/milk acceptable? count me in!!

Suganya said...

Arfi, coconut milk, cream, or any other derivatives of coconut are accepted.

Sailaja said...

Hi Suganya

I posted the coconut recipe and sent u the same
-Sailaja

Sum Raj said...

oops..i have deleted my comment posted earlier suganya..mine was stupid question...actually i was abt to ask if coconut milk is allowed...b4 i forgot to write milk after coconut...he he..

FoodieFriend said...

Yumm!! Loads of coconuts..

Unknown said...

hi I just posted my entry for coconut but I think there is some problum can u just check it out
thanks

www plantainleaf.blogspot.com

Sunshinemom said...

Great choice! I just made a vegan coconut cake and thought it would be just right:)

Unknown said...

hisuganya
Iam trying to mail one more entry for coconut event but it is not working can you please check your mail please because Iam getting delivery failure reply from mailer daemon can you please check it out and mail me please

Rajani said...

Hi Suganya! been in and about your posts before. great going with AFAM. Just sent in my entry. First time - feels great! Do drop by my blog.

Illatharasi said...

Hi Suganya, emailed my entry. Let me know if you need any other details.

ServesYouRight said...

I am so bummed I missed this event :-( On the bright side, thank you for hosting and looking forward to the round-up!

Smita

Post a Comment