Pear Crostini

I was left with a stale loaf of baguette as hard as a baseball bat. With a little research and a great recipe, I turned it into a delicious tea-time snack. This is what I did to refresh the stale bread.

Heat the oven to 275F. Mist the loaf with water and heat for 4 minutes. Mist again and bake for another 3 minutes. The bread is now crusty on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, ready for immediate use.

The recipe given below is adapted from Vegetarian Sandwiches by Paul Mitchell. Though the combination of ingredients sounded a little odd, I decided to follow it. Mainly because, every one of the recipe I have tried from this book is a hit. And so was this. The pear was sweet and soft, with a hint of maple syrup, and the parmesan cheese was a nice touch.

Ingredients

Baguette – 12 slices, 1/3 inch thick
Slightly ripened pear – 1, peeled, cored and sliced thin
Maple syrup – 2 tbsp
Cream cheese – ¼ cup
Parmesan cheese - 3 tbsp, grated

Method

Toss pear slices with maple syrup and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Preheat the broiler.

Generously spread cream cheese over baguette slices, and arrange on a baking sheet. Top baguette with sliced, marinated pear and grate parmesan cheese over the fruit. Broil the crostini 4 to 5 inches from the heat source for about 2 minutes. The pear slices will be tender and the cheese melted and browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Pear Crostini

Since I used stale bread, I did not toast the slices. If you are using fresh or soft bread, do toast it until golden brown, before assembling the crostini. This goes to Raaga at The Singing Chef, who is hosting AFAM – Pear.

21 comments:

Lucy said...

Beautiful combination! Maple syrup with anything gets me salivating!

Raaga said...

It looks so beautiful

amna said...

that's one unique recipe :) nice entry Suganya :)

Srivalli said...

Looks lovely suganya...and I loved your metal click!..not sure how i missed it..

Anonymous said...

Good info about refreshing stale bread...and fruit on a crostini sounds like fun- innovative entry for AFAM...

sunita said...

Such a pretty entry :-)

Meeta K. Wolff said...

pears and cheese are a winning combo anyway but you combing it in a crostini is brilliant!

Kalai said...

What a wonderful combo of flavors! Delicious entry! :)

TheCooker said...

Looks amazingly yummy!
Lovely picture as always.

musical said...

Delicious and very tempting!

Madhavi said...

Crostini looks very tampting :))

plz do visit @

http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I guess it's not such a tragedy when bread goes stale after all!

Mansi said...

Hmm..now that's really interesting Sugs:) maple syrup must've made it yummy...your crostini toppings are generally my salad ones:)D

Mandira said...

lovely combination and stunning pic as usual :) delicious...

Anonymous said...

looks delicious suganya, though its not my favourite fruit, I'd like to try the same with some other fruit!! Love the cream cheese and maple twist!!

test it comm said...

I will have to try that tip on rescuing stale bread. Those pear crostini look so good! I really like the sweet and pear and maple syrup and cheese combination!

Nabeela said...

Came to your blog after what feels like an eternity....am amazed by your photography. It seems to be improving by leaps and bounds...keep it up!

Helene said...

That makes me so hungry...and I just had lunch :)

Suganya said...

Thanks Lucy. Maple syrup imparted a woodsy flavour. Next time I have a pear, I will remember to drizzle maple syrup over it.

Raaga, Nags, Thanks for dropping by.

Valli, There are some issues with my feeds in TOI. Sailu is working on it.

Thank you Nandita, Sunita.

So true, Meeta. Pears and cheese is always a winning combination. But I wasn't sure about melted parmesan. It surprisingly tasted good.

Kalai, Musical, TC, Madhavi, Glad to have you here.

Hannah, Necessity is the mother of invention :D

Mine too, Mansi. Pear and crisp romaine is one good salad. Don't forget walnuts :)

Thanks, Mandira.

Dee, try crisp pears. Over ripe ones aren't pretty to eat.

Kevin, Do try. It definitely worked for me. Initially, the bread was so dry, the knife barely nicked it. But use the bread immediately.

Nabeela, Am I glad to see you here or what. How are you doing? How is your studies coming along?

Aw Helen, Thank you. Coming from a DMBLGiT winner, I take it as a compliment :)

KK said...

Hi Sugnaya,

U have sunch a lovely blog with yummy recipes and thats the reason I selected you for the "Yummy Blog" award..Congrats..check my blog for more info:)

Jeanne said...

What a clever way of reviving old bread. And I *love* the combination of pears and Parmesan. Inspired!!

Post a Comment