Vegan Ventures

You all know Tasty Palettes is going vegan this month, mainly to keep track of vegan recipes for my cooking repertoire. But after seeing Asha’s comment about making this an one-time event, I thought ‘Why not?’. It may be difficult to go vegan for a month even if you are a vegetarian. But we all have recipes that are tasty, healthy and most importantly, vegan. Pooling those recipes in one place would be of immense help to our vegan friends, would-be vegans and on-and-off vegans like me (if there is one!). Hence I invite you all to participate in this one-off event ‘Vegan Ventures’.

Here are the guidelines:

  1. Vegan recipes in Indian cuisine are aplenty. From everyday dal to simple pulao, those simple and easy recipes are perfectly vegan. But try something new, a vegan recipe that you have been wanting to try, a recipe that you would entertain your vegan friends with. Refreshing vegetables, interesting vegan substitutes, chic desserts, well, you get the idea.
  2. Any information and ideas on vegan living are wholly welcome.
  3. Please make your entries special by creating especially for this event.
  4. Feel free to use the logo.
  5. Include a link back to this post.
  6. Send your entries by November 30, 2007 to tastypalettes@gmail.com with the subject ‘Vegan Ventures’. Include your name, your blog’s name, the permalink of the entry, a picture of your gorgeous recipe (if any) in your email.
  7. You don’t have a blog? No worries. Send your entries with a picture to tastypalettes@gmail.com.
  8. I will post the round-up during the first week of December 07.

Vegan Ventures Logo

If you are new to veganism, these are the don’ts.

  • Any kind of meat or seafood
  • Dairy products – milk, yogurt, butter, cheese etc
  • Egg
  • Honey
  • Gelatin
  • Any other animal products or derivatives

And these are the dos.

  • Vegetables
  • Fruits
  • Grains
  • Beans, legumes, lentils
  • Nuts
  • Seeds
  • Soy products like tofu, tempeh, miso, seitan.
  • Non-dairy milks like soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk.
  • Sweeteners like agave nectar, maple syrup. I am going to allow sugar, as vegan dry sweeteners are not accessible to everyone.

Please feel free to add/correct these lists as I am new to Veganism too. Here are some vegan resources – List of vegan foods, vegan.org.

Event roundup here.

32 comments:

Bharathy said...

Count me in!!!:)

Sia said...

i am in :)

Latha Narasimhan said...

After reading some details in Kumudas blog I have completely given up eggs. Finding a suitable alternative for milk is difficult!
I will definitely try posting something for this event!:)

Nupur said...

Yay! I know just what I am going to make. Love the idea of this event!

Rajitha said...

love it!! i am so in :)

FH said...

Excellent Suganya. Great info, I will make a simple one too. It's easy, most of the time I cook Vegetarian anyway,skipping butter etc to be Vegan is easy!:))

Anonymous said...

Yay, sounds good, Suganya! I'm in! :)

Siri said...

Dear Suganya,

I am new to Veganism, though I am a vegeterian ( i eat egg though).. I have a question, instead of going Vegan for the entire month ( its difficult for me dear), Can I post Vegan Recipes esp for this event?..

Namratha said...

Wow, this is interesting! Thanks for the listing the do's and dont's since I'm very much new to this as well :)

Kumudha said...

Thanks for hosting such a wonderful event. Vegan diet seems to be the best diet these days.

You are right when you say that Indian cuisine is very vegan friendly.

Earth Balance has wonderful butter alternatives. Toffuti cream cheese is a great alternative to the regular cream cheese.
Unfortunately there is no alternative to the yogurt/ curd which Indians use regularly. Silk yogurt tastes like sweet pudding!

http://www.vegcooking.com
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com

Thanks again!

Kribha said...

Will do some search and come up with something. Have a great Diwali.:-)

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Sounds ez... But nothings coming to my mind right now :(

Pooja V said...

I am in ....!!

Swaroopa said...

hey gr8 event. will try to participate.

Suganya said...

I am glad to have such good responses. I look forward to recieve your entries.One clarification : You don't have to be a vegan for the entire month. You just have to send me vegan entries (one or more) for this event.

Anonymous said...

happy deepavali, suganya:) Almost all our south indian dishes are vegan starting with idlis & dosais!;))
paati

sunita said...

Suganya, wish you all the best with this event...will try to come up with something :)

Anonymous said...

Love the theme, will sure join the gang.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea Sugangya!I am wearing my vegan "thinking cap" right now.

Linda said...

Oh, this sounds fun Suganya -- I'll surely try to come up with something. First I need to go back and read your last couple of posts... avial... oh my that looks so gooooood :)

Nabeela said...

I didn't know sugar wasn't vegan! As for gelatin, you also get plant derived gelatin..I forget the name but its usually availabe in Asian stores.

Cynthia said...

Oh gosh, I don't know if I'll be able to make this but know that I rooting for the event.

Suganya said...

Nabeela, Answering your questions: Sugar is not vegan bcoz bone charcoal is used as decolourant. Cane sugar, beet sugar, jaggery are some vegan alternatives. And agar-agar is the plant derived gelatin.

Anonymous said...

I have also taken on the vegan challenge, but am sort of going at it in reverse. I have been dairy-free for many years due to a milk allergy, so it is the meat and fish that get me most. So if anyone needs any dairy-free help, just see my website via the link (http://www.godairyfree.org), there are many sub ideas there.. For me, if you have any "filling" meal ideas beyond pasta and potatoes, I would love to hear them! I am in on the Vegan Ventures.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Hi,
Have been visiting your blog. Will definitely post an entry. Shouldn't be difficult for an vegetarian Indian!:)

amna said...

awesome idea, i am definitely in :)

Sea said...

Ooh, me too, me too. What a great blog event idea!

-Sea
www.bookofyum.com

Rachna said...

hmmm nice event... lemme try and see what i can do to participate

Mansi said...

This is great Suganya! I am surely in:) I need to enhance my vegan cooking skills:)

-Mansi

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Have sent in my entry for Vegan Ventures. Will wait for the roundup.

amna said...

have sent an entry. good luck with the round up :)

Katy said...

i didn't realize until i looked carefully that almost none of my regular recipes are vegan! i'm a 12+ year vegetarian, so i wouldn't have thought the switch was drastically different, but it really is! i'm sure i can come up with a yummy vegan creation though. :-)

Post a Comment