Amish Friendship Bread

I was intrigued when Nupur wrote to me about a ‘Starter Kit’ for Amish friendship bread. After some research, I was convinced it is not only safe to bake with this starter, it is also super moist and delicious. Although it sits on your countertop for 10 days, most of the days you do nothing other than mixing it once. It was really fun to bake with a sourdough starter, which I haven’t done before. Made me feel like a ‘real’ baker. And, I wholeheartedly thank Nupur for considering me to send this ‘chain letter’.

The package I received had a slightly brown, gooey concoction. It had a “strong ‘sour’ smell and I panicked that it had gone bad. Then further investigation told me that it is the way they are supposed to smell, due to the live culture and had they gone rancid, they would turn pink or orange,. Phew! I was uncertain through each stage as this was the first time for me. But, this starter is so forgiving that even an inexperienced baker can take up this challenge.

Next comes the flavouring part. Apple and cinnamon seem to be the popular option. Although they are a good combination, I am really sick and tired of Apple-Cinnamon in everything, from cakes to air freshener. Then, G came up with the brilliant idea of mimicking a Pineapple Upside-Down cake. Wow! What an idea (he is my sous chef, you see;)).

The cake turned out to be moist and delicious, as everyone claims. The sweet cherry particularly worked superbly with the pineapple. It reminded me of tutty fruity bread that I had back in India.

Even though the starter comes with a sheet of instructions, I am giving the recipe that I followed, as a guidelines to future recipients. I have halved the original recipe to yield one loaf of bread which is more than sufficient for the two of us.

If you are left with the starter without anyone to share, or if you are on a vacation or you just want to reserve a portion for future use, freeze the dough. I read in various forums that it lasts forever. When you are ready to use it, thaw the starter for one whole day and use it in the recipe.

Feel free to add any flavouring by using different pudding mix or fruits. A cup of chopped nuts is also a delicious addition. For a chest of ideas, visit here.

Ingredients

Amish friendship starter – ¾ cup
All purpose flour or maida – 1 cup
Instant vanilla pudding mix – 1 small packet
Crushed pineapple – ½ cup
Pineapple juice – ½ cup
Maraschino cherries – ½ cup
Eggs – 2, small
Oil – ¼ cup
Apple sauce – ¼ cup
Orange zest – 1 tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – ½ tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Sugar – 2 tbsp

Method

Mix all of the above except cherries. Mixing cherries into the batter results in colour bleeding. Grease a loaf pan with shortening or butter, line the bottom of the pan with cherries. Pour the bread dough. Bake in a 325F oven for 60-65 minutes. If you are not using any fruit, reduce the baking time by 5-10 mins. Test for doneness by inserting a tooth pick and see whether it comes out clean. Invert onto a cooling wrack, cool, slice and serve.

Pineapple-Cherry Amish Friendship Bread

I am so happy to keep the tradition and forward a portion of the starter to Rajitha, Cynthia and Smita. Hope you guys have as much fun as I do. Will meet you all in a week. Till then, Ciao!

36 comments:

Rajitha said...

suganya!! that is delicious and amazing.. you have raised the table waay too high girl....thanks for considering me for this food letter...sweet of you :)

FH said...

Looks fabulous Suganya.I was offered too but don't think I can make any baking these days!I will wait for some more weeks. Have a great weekend.

bee said...

that, my gal, id drop-dear gorgeous. and your sous chef is very creative. :)

i'm wondering what to do with my starter.

archana said...

This looks superb :) Nice concept :)

Srivalli said...

That cake looks very moist indeed...and must've tasted good!...very nice

musical said...

The bread really looks yummy! Pineapples and cherries sound really delicious! feel like grabbing a bite :).

Nupur said...

Wow, G's idea really is superb: pineapple and cherries sounds like a divine combination! Your loaf looks wonderful, Suganya. Thank you so much for playing along :)

Shammi said...

oh man, that bread looks like CAKE and simply gorgeous, Suganya!:)

Aruna said...

Suganya, The bread looks sooo delightfull, Can u tell me what to substitute for those who dont have the starter or can I buy it from the store if so in what name is it sold ?....Thx

themistressofspices.wordpress.com

Pooja V said...

This looks so good. i m sure it was delicious till d lats bite.

Sig said...

That looks beautiful Suganya.... A cherry upside down cake, what a great idea... u've selected a great sous chef :D... Enjoy your break!

Kribha said...

I was not able to understand what was amish friendship bread. But the picture looked lovely. Moist cherries in a spongy cake looks so yum yum.

Sharmi said...

I read about this at Nupur's. it looks beautiful from your camera:) must be tasting divine!!

Cynthia said...

G's idea was brilliant ;) (lol) it does look very moist, Suganya. Have a cup of tea now to wash it down.

Raaga said...

Beautiful pics. Great post.

Padma said...

Looks Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Never get to make this! :-( But your's full of cherries, look so good...

Rachna said...

wow this bread looks just amazing.... yummm

Prajusha said...

suganya,
this looks yummy and delicious

Dee said...

the bread looks delicious Suganya!

ushaprashanth said...

Hi suganya!
The bread looks delicious!!!!!

sunita said...

Wonderful bread...must have tasted gorgeous :)

Savithri said...

Your friendship bread looks amazing! It is a beautiful concept as well:)

I also love that your husband is your sous chef. Heehee!!

Priyanka said...

The bread lloks so tempting Suganya....the pics are just fabulous:)

Bong Mom said...

Super gorgeous...Didn't know about the freezing part. Had I known it could have done the same instead of just letting go

Suganya said...

Thank you for all of you for yr appreciation :)

Aruna, You don't have to go to the store for the starter. Luckily, I found this recipe that may be of help to you. Although I cannot guarantee it, as I haven't tried the recipe, I believe it should be a good one. 85 cook giving 5 stars should not be a bad recipe :).

Cynthia, you tender hearted soul.. I know what you mean ;)

Sandeepa, Thats what I inferred from so many web pages. Refer the above recipe if you wanna make yr own :)

Viji said...

The bread the background story is interesting Suganya. Little things make our life interesting. Correct? Viji

Bindiya said...

this looks simply amazing ,so delicious ,and love the name of your blog too...

Coffee and Vanilla said...

And now I'm happy that I found your blog. Please take a look at the most Inspiring Food Photography competition at my page, nominate 3 of your favourites from any pages on the net...
I love your photography, what's a pitty I just found your blog now.

Greetings, Margot

Linda said...

Hi Suganya, sorry am late to the comment party but this is just beautiful!! What a great idea -- and what great implementation! :)

Aruna said...

Suganya, I'm gone ask you again, Can this be done without the starter ? or is there any substitute for the starter....?

Thx!!!

themistressofspices.wordpress.com

Aruna said...

Sorry Suganya, ignore my previous comment, on the black background I earlier did not see the url to the starter, anyway THANKS!!!!

Kajal said...

Looks yummy..........with nice thought of friendship..........Happy weekend.:)

Susan said...

Shoot. Sorry I missed this. Had I known I could have frozen it while away, I would have welcomed your offer, Suganya. You have made a masterpiece of what is essentially a blob of mush. So lovely, you can taste the photo. : )

Shubha Ravikoti said...

Hey suganya... that a lovely looking bread.. can u tell me what is this amish friendship starter?? Iam a disaster baker.... just now iam trying to start baking... :) can u guide me on this please...:) can i make the starter at home??.. or where can i get it??

Anonymous said...

We've tried vanilla, banana cream, butterscotch, chocolate and pistachio puddings. With the vanilla, we added vanilla chips, with the chocolate, we added chocolate chips and so on.
Like your idea of the cherries, always looking for new ways to make Amish bread.

Post a Comment