Stir-Fried Drumstick Leaves - Murungai Ilai Vathakkal

IMG0044

Few days ago, I was lucky enough to find drumstick leaves. In spite of its label (which said yam leaves) and G’s repeated warning, I went ahead and bought a packet. As soon as I reached home I was almost (yeah, almost) sure that it was, indeed, drumstick leaves, Murungai ilai in Tamil. The uncertainty is because its been ages since I have had them. Even in India, I have hardly seen drumstick leaves sold by vendors. It is from those few neighbours who had these trees that we got leaves. But over the years, one by one, all my neighbours got rid of their trees because its a tough job maintaining them with all those caterpillars (eeewww!). When come in contact, these pests will cause allergic reactions to your skin.

Since I was not 100% sure about these leaves, I decided not to top them over adai (which is the classic way of eating these leaves). While I was googling for a recipe, I came across this stir-fry from En Ulagam of Revathi. Not only was it simple but required very few ingredients. The only variation I did to the recipe was to use roasted chana dal instead of plain chana dal. Even though it takes time to separate the leaves from the stalk, the end product is worth the effort. Mixed with rice and a tsp of sesame oil, it was perfectly lite. Did I say Lite? Then it goes to MBP - Going Lite hosted by Coffee.

Ingredients

Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Urad dal – 1 tbsp
Roasted Chana dal (Dahlia or pottukadalai) – 1 tbsp
Green chillies - 2
Drumstick leaves – 2 cups
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
Salt
Oil

Method

Heat a tsp of oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, urad dal and roasted chana dal. After they turn brown, add the chillies, drumstick leaves, ½ cup of water and salt and let it cook for 3 minutes in medium heat. The leaves doesn’t have to turn mushy. Remove the skillet from heat, add the grated coconut, serve.

IMG0055

Stir-fried drumstick leaves with roasted plantain. Thanks Revathi, for this simple, light and everyday recipe.

23 comments:

Coffee said...

I see this in the market often and have always wondered what makes of it! :) Now I am sure to get a bunch home. :) That pic looks awesome!!!

Thanks for the lovely entry dear. :)

Viji said...

Nice photos and such a comfort food suganya. It is full of iron. I like even murugai ilai sambar, which is very tasty too. Viji

Unknown said...

The first thing that came to my mind after seeing murungai leaves was adai. That is a classic use of the leaves. We used to have a tree in our backyard but then had to bring it down as the tree invites kambliboochi,(I don't know what its otherwise called) the hairy caterpillars that cause itching.
Will look out for yam leaves from now on.

Unknown said...

Hi Suganya,
I wish I ould get some of those leaves. Colours are lovely.. and very nutritious too.......

ushaprashanth said...

Hi suganya!
Yes! its very healthy!!Rich in iron content.. will taste very good with sambar rice...!!! No need to tell ..photos are very nice..

Sia said...

never knew drumstick leaves would look so good:) they r photogenic:)

FH said...

My grandmother used to make many dishes form those leaves.We had a big tree in the estates.I wish I could get some of those here.Love the photo:)

Suganya said...

O o this is my fav green.... Healthy one right? Love it..

Richa said...

that plate is so inviting :)
never tasted those leaves though, will chk if it is available here!

Mishmash ! said...

Stir fired drumstick leaves with grated coconut is my favorite but i dont get it here in our indian store....you re lucky :)

Shn

USHA said...

Hi, Murungai illaiVathakkal looks amazing...Very healthy...we do in same way,,but my athai use to put roasted verkadalai....

Sharmi said...

waw I love murungakeerai, but dont find it here. when I went to India, enjoyed them. beautiful picture and you are making me mad!!

Sharmi said...

hey where do you live can I ask? In NJ I didnt find murungakeerai.

Suganya said...

Priya, I still remember those kambli poochi in my grandpa's garden. They had to bring the drumstick tree down bcoz of that.. Am not sure whether that is how they call it here, or was it labeled by mistake. But either ways I am happy!

Usha, I thought of using roasted peanuts, but they get used in so many ways. So let roasted chana dal get a chance :)

Shn, Sharmi, I got this from an Oriental super market. May be that is the place you wanna look at :)

Anonymous said...

Hey suganya, I never knew how to make a curry out of these leaves. My mom always made soup! Thanks for the recipe . We get these leaves all year round

Roopa said...

here in singapore available always, we love to use it for many dishes too, the palya looks awesome.

S said...

hi ur curry is good...ur site is superb...the colors,pictures r too good

Bong Mom said...

That photo is a keepsake

Cynthia said...

I never knew the leaves from a drumstick tree were edible. Good to know.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

A dish with drumstick leaves??!?! This is so very new to me!!!! BUt it looks great and healthy too... Thanx for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Suganya, the finished dish looks beautiful, but that photo of the leaves alone is beyond words :)

Shilpa said...

My my, I keep learning everyday! :) Are these the same leaves used in sodhi? I've never had sodhi but would love to, just not sure if I'll find all the ingredients I need where I am :( But if you do have a good recipe for sodhi, please share! Please please!! :)

Seema Bhat said...

Oh gosh!!! Suganya, I can't Tell enough about your photography. Every single picture is soooo soo very beautifully and attractively taken. You must be a brilliant photographer. I never knew we could use the drumstick leaves. Nice recipe girl.

Post a Comment