Kathrikkai Rasavangi – Eggplant In Tangy Sauce

Ever since Sangeetha of Ghar ka Khana announced this month’s ingredient for JFI, I wanted to prepare and submit this authentic tamilian recipe. This is a classic recipe that can be found in feast menu and goes well with sambar or thogayal.

In many of the recipes, eggplants are paired with a tangy ingredient. The tang compensates the meaty and slightly bitter eggplants resulting in a delicious dish. In this all-time favourite recipe of mine, tamarind provides the tang, while the spices play along, and you get a lip smacking eggplant gravy.

Ingredients

Brinjal – 10 or 12, cut into long slices
Toor dal – ¼ cup, pressure cooked until soft
Tamarind paste – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Red chillies – 2, broken
Curry leaves - few
Asafoetida – a pinch
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Salt
Oil

Spice powder

Chana dal – 2 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
Red chillies – 6
Coconut – ½ cup, grated

Roast all of the above in a tsp of oil till brown. Cool and grind to a fine powder.

Method

In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp of oil and lightly roast the eggplant pieces. Add tamarind paste, salt, turmeric and ½ cup of water and let the eggplant cook. Add the cooked dal, the spice mixture to the eggplant mixture and allow it to boil for 5 minutes on a low flame.

In a separate skillet, heat a tsp of oil and add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add urad dal, curry leaves, red chillies and asafoetida. Add this to the eggplant gravy. Mix well and serve.

IMG0077

I would like to thank Indira of Mahanandi for creating this event that lets us explore and learn with a different ingredient each month.

28 comments:

Roopa said...

looks delicious and yummy so many rasvangi recipe,need to try this we make it slighlty differently.

indosungod said...

Suganya, love the recipe you have here, Rasavangi is new to me thought the ingredients are all familar.

Anonymous said...

Hi Suganya, the brinjal sounds delish, but I have to tell you it *looks* super-fabulous in that gorgeous green bowl! Thanks for the new recipe :)

Kajal said...

WOW....great recipe with brinjal.....Looks delicious.:)

bee said...

a question. does the eggplant remain in chunks, or does it have to be all mashed up? 'cos i would like to try it if is mashed up.

ushaprashanth said...

Hi suganya!
Is this called kathrikai gothsu too? b'coz you have added dhal...that's why i asked..

Viji said...

If you use Kopra (dried coconut) you will see the difference. It looks yummy. Viji

Nirmala said...

OMG! Why did it not strike me to post Rasavangi? Great recipe Suganya! I love this dish. Hot rice with rasavangi and a pappad...excellent meal :)

Suganya said...

Thank you, Thank you everyone!

Bee, There is no reason why the eggplants shouldnt be mashed, although it may result in a slightly different taste. Even I dont like lightly or partially cooked eggplants. Thats why I prefer kootu, sambar or fry, so they get get cooked well and absorb all the spice. You can give this recipe a try as is.

Usha, this is not kosthu. Kosthu is served with dosa or idli. This is served with sambar. Also, kathrikkai kosthu does not include dal, but mixed veg kosthu does. Hope this answers yr question.

Viji, I will try that next time. Sounds good.

Raaga said...

I have a bag of brinjals at home and just have to make this.

Bong Mom said...

I have exactly the same bowl. The name is so sweet

Richa said...

looks so delicious.
would like to try this once i harvest my garden eggplants :)

FH said...

I love Rasavangi too with rice and dosa:))

Sharmi said...

lovely looking recipe. kalakitinga!

Shah cooks said...

i am new to ur blog..but stopped and drooled all over the photos..yum!

Srivalli said...

Suganya...lovely dish and the bowl is great looking...

srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

hai,
I found ur blog and it's very nice with those recipies.And this rasavangi recipie i never tried i will try for sure.

Cynthia said...

Suganya, once again your food, photography and food stying are outstanding. I like the idea of tang with the eggplant.

Prema Sundar said...

haven't tried rasavangi before Suganya and i saw one in MT's blog too. Would surely make this soon.. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

looks fantastic....I am not a big eggplant...picture looks so lovely and inviting...maybe I will try it...many thanks for sharing

SMN said...

Hey Suganya,

Lovely blog... and i lov brinjal like mad and i will serching all the recipes to cook a nice dish out of it. thnx for the recipe . one more to my book.

Suma Gandlur said...

A few years ago, I ate an eggplant preparation named 'rasavangi' at a restaurant. It was sweet, sour and spicy at the same time. I liked it very much and tried to experiment at home using different combinations but it never worked.
Your version seems delicious and I would like to know whether jaggery can be added to this dish. Thx.

Suganya said...

Suma.. You can very well add jaggery to this. It works well with eggplant! I would add 1/2 tsp, grated. You can add as much as you need...

Jayashree said...

One of my favourite dishes.....the pic looks delicious.

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Nice Recipe here as well Suganya! Is rasavangi similar to pitlai?

Kanchana

Ramki said...

I think I have missed tasting this by a few weeks :) It was mouth watering and though I am allergitic to Brinjal (or the other way), will taste this when I get a chance. How about an entry on Mysore Rasam ? Manni makes this the best and I love it :)

Suganya said...

Sriram, is that you? I will make this next time for you, if you are not allergic by then :p.. And I will post Mysore rasam soon.. It is Manni's recipe :)

Anonymous said...

Yummy! this is called baingan bharta in maharashtra

Post a Comment