Neem Flower Rasam

One of the reasons that I started this blog is to try and learn more traditional tamilian recipes. So when I learnt about this month’s RCI, I decided to jump in. Not to mention this is the first time I am participating in an online blogging event. My entry to this event is ‘Veppampoo rasam’ (Neem flower rasam).

IMG0081


Neem flowers are abundant in India during the month of April. The highlight of Tamil New Year’s day festival, which falls on the 14th or 15th of April, is Manga pachidi, a dish made with Mango, jaggery and neem flowers, and tastes sweet, sour and bitter. The dish signifies all facets of life, its ups and downs.

These fresh flowers are sun-dried and stored year round. It tastes good when fried in ghee and added to rasam or raita or even mixed with plain rice with a tsp of sesame oil. It tastes a tad bitter, but if you like the bitterness of bitter gourd, you may like neem flowers too. It is an acquired taste which I have grown to appreciate. After all, the medicinal value of neem are endless.

Ingredients

Dried neem flowers – 2 tbsp
Tamarind paste – 1 tbsp
Red chillies – 8
Toor dal – 2 tbsp
Asafoetida
Curry leaves
Ghee - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
salt

Method

Boil tamarind paste, toor dal, salt, curry leaves in 2 cups of water. Roast the red chillies in a tsp of oil add it to the tamarind mixture. Boil this mixture until the tamarind no longer smells raw. Heat ghee and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the neem leaves to the ghee and roast till it turns brown. Add this to the rasam with asafoetida.

Try this once and your tummy will thank you.

IMG0006
Neem flower rasam with cauliflower fry and karuvadam


15 comments:

Saju said...

tempting - looks so tasty, great pics!

Suganya said...

Thanks Sajeda :)

Nupur said...

Neem Flower...wow! Thanks for introducing me to this beautiful ingredient.

Sharmi said...

hi Suganya, you have a nice blog with lovely pics. I liked the way you have presented the dishes. I also liked vepam poo rasam , making it tomorrow itself.:)

Suganya said...

Thanks Nupur and Sharmi!!!

Bharathy said...

Came here thru RCI List..What an entry!!
Veppampoo kooda INIKKUTHEE:)

Arts said...

gr8 recipe.. had never heard of neem flowers b4.. will chk if I find some in the Indian store here..
Welcome to the blog world..

Happy Blogging,
Aarti

FH said...

Hi Suganya,looks delicious.I don't know whether I get neem here but it's so good to see the familiar flowers.Thank you and welcome to blogging:))

Suganya said...

Bharathy.. Don't make me blush :">

Arts and Asha, Thank you for yr warm welcome. I got these flowers from India. I don't remember seeing them here.. Lemme know if you find 'em.

Anonymous said...

You know what? for M of Vegetables, I made Manaththakkali Vaththal moru kuzhambhu.

When I saw manaththakkali in the round up, I expected neem flowers for N.

And you did it.

Ayesha Seerin said...

This is my visit to ur blog ..
Neem is news to me ... Nice recipe

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I did the same too, for RCI!!! Nice pics!

Kribha said...

Oh Sugi(hope u won't mind),
you remind me of my days with my grandma. Karuvadam is my fav. Simple dishes like these are always great. Never tried veppampoo rasam. will try it when I get hold of that ingredient.

sangeeta said...

Hi suganya...
came here searching for a recipe for neem flowers and i am so happy i landed here.
the rasam is wonderful..
Congratulations for such a wonderful, beautiful angel in your life....she is just so beautiful.

Unknown said...

From the very beginning of recorded human history, people have used the mysterious Azadirachta indica or neem tree. Today, rural Indians call this tree their "village pharmacy" because of claims it "cures" diseases and disorders ranging from bad teeth and bedbugs to ulcers and malaria. The seeds, bark and leaves contain compounds called limonoids with proven antiseptic, antiviral, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, anti-ulcer and antifungal uses.http://gardener.saosis.com

Post a Comment